Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 6 (Port St. Lucie, FL to Walterboro, SC)

Well, let me first say I love having the CB radio on my Honda Goldwing. I have been chatting with the truckers left and right and before I know it, time flies. They also let me know when "Smokies/Bear" (police radar) are in the area and I return the favor to others. I gave myself the call sign "Wing and a Prayer" because that is how I am doing this trip, On a Wing and a Prayer. Get it??? Arr arr, earth humor.

I got to stay overnight at my parents house in Port St. Lucie and I did the old, "I'm home from college mom" which many will know means I have laundry. I did it though but they did help me fold them up this morning when I was trying to pack everything up and get the bike loaded. For those that are curious, yes my parents are Mr. & Mrs. Claus. No seriously!

I almost forgot. I got to visit the worlds largest Harley-Davison dealership in Daytona, FL. It really is very impressive. I took a lot of pictures so I will share that out on my Photobucket website once I figure out how to share it out to the Public. I know, I know, they still aren't Goldwings though. Until they can have a Harley that has all the extra features that the Goldwing has, Goldwing will always rule the touring market. I also got to visit J & P Cycles which is in the same complex. I actually get their catalog. I did find out some very sad new though. The lady at the cash register told me about a supervisor (Tami) there that just recently found out her 13 year old son was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease. I would like people to include him (name unknown at this time) in your prayers. As many people know, this is very difficult for the child but also difficult for the parents and they will need our prayers. I hope to hear from Tami soon as I left a message and my business card with the lady at the register.

I did run into quite a bit of heavy rain today in Georgia but I pulled over and put on my rain gear (Frog Tog) and then continued on. Today got a little tricky because I was getting e-mails on my phone about my visits in North Carolina and I just was not able to follow back up with the people concerned until quite sometime later. Its not like being in a car and picking up the phone. Thank God Lisa has been able to be a go-between for me when communicating with the cancer research centers.

I'm in Walterboro, SC now at a Motel 6. I got in at 9:20pm. Long day but then again I couldn't get out of Port St. Lucie until 8:45am because I was chatting with a really nice gentleman by the name of Dean Gallupe at Starbucks on my way out. He works for Treasure Coast Hospice in Port St. Lucie, FL. I also met his friend Harry Butsko who is a chaplain for hospice. I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with them and time got away from me but then this is part of what this trip is about meeting people and telling them about what I'm doing.

I should be in Chapel Hill, NC at the University of North Carolina's Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center tomorrow and then at Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Duke, Durham, NC. Unfortunately, I'm still a ways out from Chapel Hill so I might not be about to meet Dr. Thomas Shea but I'm not giving up on the yet. Guess, I need to twist the throttle a bit more tomorrow.

Note of Interest:
I do want the various facilities that I am scheduled to visit know that I am probably one and a half to two days behind on my current itinerary so please be patient with me as I deal with the weather issues that are causing the delays currently here in the Southeast part of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment