Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 15 & 16 (Pickerington, Ohio to Milwaukee, WI)

Yesterday morning (Saturday) was a real treat for me!

As I had said in a previous posting, someone from "The James" at The Ohio State University told me about the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum being just down the road from them (about 15 miles) and for those that know me nowadays, I could not pass this up. This was worth all the rain that I have already run into. I am a member of the American Motorcycle Association which, is in the same parking lot at the museum but they were closed of course because it was Saturday.

I will be posting most of these photos on my photobucket.com website once I figure out how to share it out with everyone (make public). I'll probably get that done tonight and will post an update. So the museum was incredible and I wish I could have stayed longer. I met an old time motorcycle rider and enthusiast by the name of Ken Baumgarth who actually donated an old chopper to the Hall of Fame Museum quite some time ago. I really enjoyed hearing about his past travels back in the 60s and 70s in particular. He even told me about a women who was a friend of his by the name of Marla Garber. She was one of the pioneer women in motorcycling but Harley-Davidson refused to acknowledge her accomplishments as told to me by Ken. The Motorcycle Hall of Fame acknowledges her though. The museum was also exhibiting some of the Arlen Ness motorcycles that were just crazy, such as Mach Ness.

Well that is enough about the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum. So it was probably 10:30/11:00am by the time I pulled out of there and I head west by northwest towards Chicago. Now, I should tell you that my plan to stop in Chicago at the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center (Northwestern University) was cancelled only because of a scheduling conflict and since I didn't make it to Chicago until Saturday it really was not fun at all. That day that would have been tough for them since it was Saturday. It did save me from having to travel into the city since I did arrive in the outskirts (Interstate 90) of Chicago during rush hour.Let me tell you how much fun that was. No, never mind it wasn't fun at all!

So, I decided that since I wanted to visit the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the first place, I drove north towards Milwaukee. I must also say that Milwaukee really was a nice city and it has Lake Michigan next to it and a really nice downtown area. For those that do not know, they have the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team, Milwaukee Bucks basketball team, and of course the original home of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle factory or shed as it was originally. I have to make a confession here in front of all of you. I was not really that much into Harley-Davidson motorcycles but I do love motorcycles anyway and they do make some good looking bikes. So my confession is that H-D intrigued me from a nostalgic perspective and their support of our military in the past and present. How could you not appreciate that. I'm fairly sure though that many H-D owners and enthusiasts don't have the same perspective of metric or Asian market motorcycles. I see that when H-D riders pass me on the road and I extend the traditional "motorcycle waive" and many do not even wave back. That is OK though because I know my motorcycle will rarely see the side of the road unless I'm stretching out or getting something out of my luggage trunk and I'm also riding much more comfortable during my rides. Just remember, those of us who ride do it for the love of the ride and the freedom. It is something that you just can't explain unless you have had the bug yourself.

So, I have bored those of you who don't get into motorcycles yet? I'll get back to more of that upon explaining my visit to the H-D Museum. After a very stressful ride through Chicago, I made it to Milwaukee and after finding a hotel in town around 8:00pm, I called my wife and she reminded me that my next appointment is in Rochester, Minnesota at the Mayo Cancer Clinic which I knew but I did not realize that it is not until this coming Wednesday so I decided to stay in Milwaukee one extra day (Sunday) and do some sight seeing. As many of you probably don't know, doing this ride and making sure I make it to each cancer center visit, as well as doing e-mail and telephone follow-ups with others, and finally updating the blog site here, I get very tired and no time to really see things along the way and these two sightseeing trips were well overdue for me and a chance to rest up as well.

So, the visit to the Harley-Davidson Museum was very impressive and any motorcycle enthusiast should take this opportunity to visit here, if you ever get the chance. It is funny pulling up on a Honda Goldwing and parking next to all these Harley-Davidson motorcycles. They know I'm getting a comfortable ride compared to what they are use too. I'm not going to bore you with all the motorcycle stuff but to say this was really cool! I wonder if some of my H-D friends would visit the Honda Museum (I don't even know if there is one).

This evening I'll be busy posting as much as possible for all of you and getting my bags packed for tomorrow's journey to Rochester, Minnesota. "Keep the rubber on the road" and don't forget, i need your help with this fundraiser, if you have not already donated.

Pete West
pwestjr@gmail.com
(210) 563-0509 (cell)
http://www.active.com/donate/cruisinforacure (secure donation site)
http://cruisinforacure.blogspot.com (travel blog site)

2 comments:

  1. Love ya Pete. Keep it up, you are half way there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhod Minster is my name, I am really perplexed today, and I share this piece of good news with everyone reading. Brethren, I was diagnosed of shingles some months after I did a surgery, and I was having serious acute, painful inflammation of the nerve ganglia, with a skin eruption. It was very bad that my skin was gone, and I was almost giving up. The fact was I am very vulnerable because of my weak immune system. So this shingles really affected me. I was taking antiviral medicines after some time it got worst that I was diagnosed of post-herpetic neuralgia. And my doctor prescribed for me paracetamol and codeine which I was using but my condition was getting worst instead of getting better. Somehow, my grandson came home and said his girlfriend was cured of HSV by a herbal doctor whose name was given as Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. My grandson claimed that his girlfriend was cured by the said doctor with his herbal medicine, so he advised me to give this same herbal doctor a try. I remembered a word at that stage which says ‘there is no harm in trying’ so I decided to give this herbal doctor a try. My grandson help contacted him, and I spoke with him on the phone, and also explained to him in a message I sent to his email. So he assured me, and gave me a good hope that he will surely cure me of this ailment. So we concluded arrangement, and he prepared the herbal medicine, and shipped it to me. So I took it according to his directions. And the herbal mixture really worked for me. I was so surprise the way it worked for me, and in just two weeks, I was beginning to fully recover, and in just less than 2 months, I was fully recovered, and all my pains and inflammation are all gone. Brethren, today I am totally cured and I deem it fit to come here and let everyone know about my cure through the herbal process. Please if you are still suffering from this ailment contact the herbal doctor for your cure. His contact details are as follows Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), phone number (+2349052015874). Wish you all quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete