Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 2 & 3 (Stop the Rain)

Greetings from the Brooksville, Florida Holiday Inn Express!

I suppose I should start with yesterday. Yesterday was definitely wet but my Goldwing and Frog Tog rain gear kept me dry for the most part. The bike really has a lot to do with that though, in the way it is designed. Now, this doesn't mean I'm not sick of the rain though. Rain always delays things.

I crossed the 18-mile Henderson Bayou bridge (Louisiana) in the rain and had to actually stop where a convenience store has a real Bengal tiger captive in a cage as some sort of side show. Apparently someone is trying to do something about this tiger being locked up in a small cage. I put in over 540 miles yesterday which really was a lot considering the rain but I had to keep plugging forward.
So the bridge crossing was wet but it was fascinating to see all those trees under the water or partially sticking up. I was not able to take pictures though as it was raining and unsafe to pull over. My trustworthy Honda Goldwing held up quite well in the rain and I made sure to take it easy.

Anyway, I made it to Pace, Florida where one of our (Lisa and I) dearest friends lives. Marcy Roche and her son and daughter-in-law put me up for the night and it was so good to actually she her and finally meet her son (Eddy), daugther-in-law (Mindy), and granddaughter (Mariah). It was so awesome to catch up with Marcy and see her little dog Joey. We were all housemates back in Bothell, Washington where we use to live.

So day 3 and I left Pace, FL a little later than normal but I got to sleep until 6:00am. Wahoo! I think given that it is now almost 11:00pm (EST), I'll try to take advantage of a little extra sleep tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll sleep until 6:10am. wouldn't that be exciting. So I headed east on Interstate 10 towards Tallahassee, FL (around the city) and then south on Highway 19/27. Today's trip was not very exciting at all and was actually quite boring but it only drizzled, off and on today so there is a positive in everything. So I made it to the Holiday Inn Express here in Brooksville, FL and it is pretty nice compared to the Howard Johnson's (IH-610 and Main) in Houston, TX.

Now the problem I have for tomorrow is that we (LLS San Antonio and I) still have not received a confirmation invitation from a cancer center in Tampa for tomorrow. I'm hopeful that we will now, though. If not I head to Miami (via Alligator Alley) and probably stay over and visit my brother-in-law, Greg and possibly stay at his hotel, if he'll let me. :) He is the General Manager for the Marriott, Courtyard Hotel. It depends on what time I make it down there. Personally, I have stayed at Courtyards and absolutely love them and the service. No, that wasn't a plug, really. :)

Well folks, I thinking I'm up-to-date and I really need some serious sleep. I bid you good evening.
(210) 563-0509 (cell)
http://cruisinforacure.blogspot.com/ (Cruisin' For A Cure travel blog site)














No comments:

Post a Comment