Monday, March 23, 2009

"Cruisin' For A Cure Update (March 23)

A former fellow Goldwing Road Rider Association (GWRRA-chapter H) member, Gene Williams, passed away in December 2008 of an unknown form of cancer that even his doctors could not completely diagnose. By the time I joined GWRRA, Gene was very ill and unable to ride with our Chapter. I never met Gene but was honored to ride my Goldwing with other chapter members in his funeral procession.

Gene’s wife, Raguell Williams, is selling his 2004 Honda Goldwing and other items. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase the trailer and hitch that Gene and another GWRRA member built with their own hands. I plan on having a small plaque made in honor of Gene and installed on the trailer for my ride around the country.

The trailer that I will be pulling will make my journey a bit easier because I’ll have enough room to carry essentials including Leukemia & Lymphoma Society brochures and other informational packets. I was recently able to purchase the CB radio and antenna for my Goldwing so that I have an alternate form of communication in case my cell phone looses reception in certain area of my journey.

One last item to mention. This past Saturday, the South Texas Chapter of Team In Training invited to me join them in participating in their annual city wide Team In Training Garage Sale. I was invited to raise money for "Cruisin' For A Cure" (The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) and I was able to display my Honda Goldwing next to the table that Lisa and I, along with Libby (friend) setup. I want to thank Libby for her efforts and support during the garage sale as she was instrumental in helping us sell $240.00 worth of items.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete,

    I'm actually an intern from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's South Texas chapter. I think your conviction to honor Gene Williams memory by buying his trailer and hitch and use it to help fundraise is extrodinary! We would like to personally thank you for your personal support of "Cruisin' For A Cure" and the inspiration you continue to provide for everyone you touch. You sold $240.00 worth of items? That's great! I'm glad you had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete